Scatec hybrid power plant in South Africa delivers dispatchable power 16.5 hours a day

Scatec ASA has signed power purchase agreements (PPAs) for a project consisting of three solar and storage power plants in South Africa’s Northern Cape province. According to the Norwegian project developer and operator of renewable energy power plants, a 60-day period will apply from signing to achieve financial close for the »Kenhardt 1-3« plants with their combined 540 megawatts (MW) of PV, 225 MW of battery power and 1.1 gigawatt hours of storage capacity. Construction is scheduled to begin »once financial close has been reached.«
For the first time in Africa, the facilities will provide 150 megawatts of solar energy as dispatchable power from 5 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. According to Scatec, Kenhardt 1-3 is the only project based solely on renewable energy among all projects awarded for the South African government’s technology-open support mechanism RMIPPP (Risk Mitigation Independent Power Producer Procurement).
Scatec will be responsible for EPC as well as the operation of the power plants and will hold 51 percent of the project. The remaining 49 percent is held by local partner H1 Holdings.
© PHOTON

Related News