European research and industry organisations call for »urgent action« to maintain solar R&D and manufacturing
Post date: 24/06/2017 - 14:14
In an open letter, three European PV organisations – the European Technology and Innovation Platform for Photovoltaics (ETIP PV), the Association of European Renewable Energy Research Centres (EUREC), and the Global Solar PV Technology & Industry Association »Solar United« call the European Union and its member states for »urgent action« to maintain R&D and manufacturing along the entire PV value chain.
The letter was initiated against the background of German PV company SolarWorld’s insolvency. The underwriters call for support to
- Maintain existing and develop further Europe’s biggest state-of-the-art manufacturing sites.
- Focus on supporting the manufacture of high-quality, technologically advanced products at scale.
- Increase and sufficiently finance R&D activities.
- Implement smart regulation to put products complying with EU manufacturing standards at an advantage: public support for the installation of PV in the EU should be linked to sustainability and efficiency criteria.
- Ensure a special contribution from EU member states with the biggest R&D expenditures and already willing to cooperate in an energy partnership, such as Germany, France and many more.
- Foster European political and technological cooperation with emerging markets.
»Last but not least«, the letter calls for a faster addition of new PV capacities: »All barriers against the rapid addition of centralized and decentralized PV to the power system should be removed.«